Yesterday into today the Hudson Valley got hit with yet another snow storm. As anticipated, schools were closed and my children rejoiced. However, after all the shoveling, sleigh riding, and snowman-making that accompanies a snow day, there’s nothing better than warming up with a hot, delicious meal. Today’s comfort food meal is a simple creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup, a spin on my buffalo chicken dip, (as I don’t think it would be acceptable to feed dip to my kids for dinner).
It’s really simple to make- prep took about 10 minutes, and at the end of a cold day, who else wants to have a piece of crusty bread and some spicy chicken soup?
I’ve included my original recipe below, however, next time I’d add a bit more celery (more like 5 ribs) and perhaps another veggie such as carrots. But that’s just me. You might like it just the way it is. Otherwise, it came out creamy and tasting like a delicious buffalo chicken wing.
BUFFALO CHICKEN CROCKPOT SOUP
- 2-3 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts rinsed & patted dry
- 3 ribs chopped celery
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1/3 cup blue cheese salad dressing
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz crumbled blue cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place chicken breasts and chopped celery in your crockpot
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a medium sized saucepan on low, or until melted and frothy. Slowly whisk in flour. Continue to whisk for about 2 minutes or until fully incorporated. Be sure to keep flame low, as to not burn the roux.
- While whisking, slowly pour in the 4 cups of chicken stock. Once incorporated, allow mixture to come to a slight boil and thicken, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add Frank’s Red Hot Sauce & blue cheese dressing. Add a pinch of salt and a couple grinds of black pepper, then set aside to cool slightly.
- About 5 minutes later, add liquid mixture to crockpot. Be sure to fully cover the chicken & celery.
- Put the crockpot on low 6-8 hours
- Once crockpot cooking has completed, remove chicken breasts and shred using 2 forks.
- Add shredded chicken along with shredded sharp cheddar cheese to crockpot and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with crumbled blue cheese & a few dashes of hot sauce